THE GRIEF MINISTRY'S GOAL is to help alleviate pain at the time of loss of a family member. Committee members provide comfort, assistance in planning funeral liturgies or a memorial mass, and assist the family on the day of the funeral services.
The nature of this Ministry's work calls upon your compassion and ability to reach out to grieving families and do whatever may be necessary to exhibit our love, care and hospitality during their time of grief.
Those interested in joining this group should call the church office at (925) 625-2048.
GRIEF MINISTRY MEMBERS are volunteers who are dedicated to support grieving families in their loss of loved ones by assisting in preparation of the funeral Liturgy, reception and after care with personal phone calls and visits.
Grief Ministry Services
1. Meet with the family of deceased to arrange the funeral Liturgy Mass or Memorial Service.
a) Select Readings
b) Select Music
c) Family Participation:
* Procession, i.e., carrying of the Cross
* Readers (give copies of readings)
* Presentation of gifts
2. Prepare the program
3. Day of funeral:
a) Preparation of the church for Funeral Mass i.e. altar, candles, incense, gifts, pall, holy water, etc.
b) Grief Ministers shall read the Psalm, assist as Eucharistic Ministers.
c) Brief family members on procedures for participating in Liturgy.
d) Grief Ministers will fill in where needed for readings, procession, gifts, Music (CD player).
Set dining tables, food tables, prepare punch, coffee, if catered, assist as needed, clean up.
III. Personal Contact with family
1. Send sympathy card to family and thank you card if donation is made.
2. Follow up with personal calls to family and visitation when needed.
3. Send one year anniversary card to family of deceased.
IV. Mass of Remembrance
Organize and support Mass of Remembrance in November to coincide with All Souls Day.
V. Lay Ministers
1. Visit and bring Communion to those in nursing home.
2. Visit and bring communion to those who are sick and/or homebound.
For further information contact:
The Office 925-625-2048
Liz Escamilla 925-634-6266